Genevieve Dame’s practice focuses on all aspects of business litigation including complex commercial litigation, insurance litigation, trust litigation, partnership divorces, corporate theft, breach of fiduciary duty, and restrictive covenants violations. Genevieve handles matters that involve interlocking contractual relationships, overlapping fiduciary obligations, large quantities of data, and obscured self-dealing. Her clients are professionals, entrepreneurs, businesses, doctors, medical practices, family offices, and family-owned establishments.
Genevieve started her business litigation career working directly under exceptional, award-winning litigators at a large law firm in Atlanta, focusing on insurance defense and complex commercial litigation. She then spent nearly a decade practicing directly with one of Atlanta’s most respected, premier business litigation attorneys at a smaller firm in Buckhead, focusing on general litigation, corporate fraud, and business divorces. In 2015, Genevieve started Dame Law as a boutique litigation firm in Dunwoody, serving clients who seek large-firm complex litigation experience in a small firm environment to handle both complex and simple disputes.
Genevieve graduated from Georgia State University College of Law as a top member of moot court receiving recognition from the Georgia Legislature and then-Governor Sonny Perdue, as well as an award for excellence in litigation. Genevieve was named to Super Lawyers Magazine as a Rising Star in 2011, which recognizes Georgia’s top attorneys under the age of 40, or who have practiced for less than 10 years. In 2016, Genevieve received Avvo’s Client’s Choice award, and then in 2018 Genevieve was named an Atlanta Super Lawyer. No more than five percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by the research team at Super Lawyers to receive this honor. Genevieve was featured on page 11 of the 2018 Super Lawyer’s Magazine as being at the top of her game in business litigation in the state of Georgia.
- All Georgia State, Superior, and Magistrate Courts
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- All Courts of the State of New York
- Admissions routinely granted pro hac vice in other jurisdictions
PUBLICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
- VoyageATL Magazine, Trending article on Dame Law (2019)
- Georgia Chapter of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners guest speaker (2018): Litigating Corporate Fraud Cases in Superior Court
- Super Lawyers Magazine, p. 11, featuring Genevieve Dame (2018): At the Top of Her Game in Business Litigation
- Atlanta Attorney Magazine, p. 16, featuring Genevieve Dame (2018): Bigger Isn’t Necessarily Better
- Atlanta Bar Association CLE Panel Member (2017) instructing on the process of obtaining Temporary Restraining Orders in Superior Court on matters involving restrictive covenants. Co-author of: Temporary Restraining Orders and Injunctive Relief in Restrictive Covenant Cases
- Atlanta Bar Association CLE Presenter (2017) instructing lawyers who leave big firms to start small firms on being more effective than ever for their clients: Advice from the Top – Secrets to Success
- Atlanta Bar Association CLE Presenter (2016): Managing Your Practice: Running Your Practice Smoothly So That You Can Provide Superior Legal Counsel and Get Your Clients Results
- Chairperson for Nicholas Smith’s election campaign for Dekalb Superior Court Judge (2018)
- Georgia State University College of Law mentor program (2008)
EDUCATION AND HONORS
- Northern Illinois University, Bachelor of Science, University and Upper Division Honors, Mortar Board, Golden Key National Honor Society (2002).
- Georgia State University College of Law, Moot Court, Georgia Trial Lawyers Association (2005)
Selected in 2018
Attorneys to Watch
- Secured a $13.2 Million trial verdict for Plaintiffs in a RICO, Breach of Trust, Breach of Fiduciary Duty case (Fulton Business Court, 2020)
- Assisted 4 top tier executives and managers in various industries including sales, marketing, and C-suite avoid litigation and negotiate out of their restrictive covenants/non-compete agreements (throughout Fall 2018 – Spring 2020)
- Successfully settled breach of contract lawsuit brought against lessee of equipment (Cobb County, 2019)
- Successfully defended ERISA professionals against negligence and breach of contract lawsuit brought by municipality, resulting in dismissal of action (Fulton Superior Court, 2019)
- Retained 3 days prior to try a fraud case worth $4.5 Million against my client, a Defendant who was in default at the time of trial with no discovery done and obtained a defense verdict following a three-day jury trial. (Fulton Superior, 2018)
- Negotiated a settlement and avoided litigation in a business (successful bar/restaurant) divorce dispute representing partner who put money and sweat equity into company only to be squeezed out (Atlanta, 2019)
- Defended and settled matter on behalf of employer accused of sexually harassing employee (Superior Court of Georgia, 2019)
- Brought into litigation to streamline case and quickly obtained injunction against Trustee caught draining trust funds (Georgia Superior Court, 2018)
- Worked with white collar crimes unit to bring RICO charges against employee caught stealing from company (Georgia, 2019)
- Filed a lawsuit alleging claims of money had and received, and conversion with regard to subscription and stockholders’ agreements executed in conjunction with the purchase of over $300,000 worth of stock in an IT business. (Georgia Superior Court, 2009).
- Tried a case in Superior Court of Gwinnett County, defending claims filed against an executor alleging breach of fiduciary duty and theft. (2014).
- Tried a case in Eatonton Georgia on claims of breach of contract. (2006).
- Tried a case in Superior Court of Fulton County, defending claims of theft and breach of fiduciary duty. (2010).
- Prevailed following oral argument before the Georgia Supreme Court on matters involving land use and nuisance related to a business operated near a residential community. (2007).
- Brought claims of theft of trade secrets and breach of contract against a vendor in the manufacturing industry. (Fulton Superior Court, 2014).
- Retained by a company headquartered in the South to defend its newly hired executive against a lawsuit filed by a former employer asserting allegations of restrictive covenants violations, and successfully defended against an attempt to obtain an ex-parte interlocutory injunction. (Georgia Superior Court, 2016).
- Filed a lawsuit and request for an injunction on behalf of a family against another family member who abused his role as Power of Attorney and Executor by engaging in self-dealing, theft, and improper property transfers. (Georgia Superior Court, 2016).
- Filed a lawsuit against an Atlanta hospital for suspending a doctor’s hospital privileges. (Georgia Superior Court, 2008).
- Negotiated commercial construction disputes pre-lawsuit, after filing required materialman’s liens. (2017, 2018).
- Filed a lawsuit seeking an injunction and asserting derivative and direct claims against partners who converted partnership funds from two businesses and squeezed out fellow partners. (Georgia Superior Court, 2016).
- Retained by an international waste and recycling conglomerate to defend its executive in a dispute with the City of Atlanta involving a business license. (City of Atlanta, 2014).
- Retained by an entrepreneur who had his identity stolen and used both to start up a limited liability company and also to obtain credit from several small banks throughout the United States. (Fulton County, 2015).
- Represented a surgeon and the medical practice in an arbitration involving the termination of another surgeon. (Fulton County, 2009).
- Represented a doctor who became the focus of peer review proceedings while he was in the process of retiring from a hospital in South Georgia. (2015).
- Represented a doctor who sold his practice and then was denied the benefits of his promissory note and asset purchase agreement. (Georgia Superior Court, 2013).
- Represented a conglomerate of doctors seeking to mitigate the liability that followed from one of their affiliated doctors’ alleged criminal activities. (2015).
- Represented a large commercial complex in an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) access violation case. (Federal Court, Northern District of Georgia, 2006).
- Defended four small businesses (restaurants, a gas station, and a shopping center) in Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) access violation cases brought by a plaintiff in Federal Court, Northern District of Georgia, in 2015-2017 by successfully negotiating their resolution and dismissal without needing to formally respond to the Complaints. (Federal Court, Northern District of Georgia, 2015-2017).
- Filed claims alleging fraud and misrepresentation in conjunction with the sale of a dance competition, in conjunction with defending a breach of contract claim and related claims filed in a second lawsuit. (Georgia Superior Court, 2013).
- Defended an executive against a claim for breach of a promissory note drafted in conjunction with a profit sharing plan in the amount of $1 Million. (Georgia Superior Court, 2015).
- Represented a company in several inter-related lawsuits against a former officer who refused to comply with a put-sell agreement, and then destroyed electronically-stored evidence. (Georgia Superior Court, Federal Court, 2013).
- Filed a lawsuit on behalf of a company seeking a temporary restraining order and injunction against a former manager who devised a complicated scheme to keep profits stagnant while he siphoned off the company’s trade secrets and property to start up a competing business in the waste industry. (Georgia Superior Court, 2013).
- Filed a lawsuit and requested an injunction on behalf of a company against a former employee who violated restrictive covenants and stole confidential proprietary information in the advertising industry. (Georgia Superior Court, 2011).
- Represented a family in negotiating a pre-lawsuit settlement involving competing purchase and sale agreements for the purchase of a house.
- Represented homeowners against a contractor involved in a large-scale home renovation completed well below industry standards by guiding the homeowners through insurance coverage negotiations, permitting, a bank dispute, retaining a new contractor, financing, required notices under Georgia law, and the necessary inspections. (2015).
- Represented condo-owner in dispute against a designer who completed work below industry standard by guiding her through insurance coverage negotiations, required notices under Georgia law, association issues, and the necessary inspections. (2017).
- Represented a condo-owner against the condo association in a dispute regarding restrictions on leasing. (2011).
- Defended a doctor in a medical malpractice action after his insurance company refused coverage. (2016).
- Retained by an insurance company to Defendant a hotel management company in South Georgia following a slip and fall in the bathtub. (2015).
- Retained to provide a second opinion in a case involving breach of an oral contract regarding the voluntary payment doctrine. (2017).
- Retained to provide a second opinion in a doctor sham peer review case. (2015).
- Filed a lawsuit against a payroll company that had hidden years of theft and misappropriation in what looked to be tax payments. (Georgia Superior Court, 2014).
- Defended a medical practice in an EEOC charge of discrimination matter, and subsequent lawsuit in Federal Court. (Northern District of Georgia, 2016).
- Called in by a medical device manufacturer following trial conducted by another attorney to mitigate loss, seek reconsideration, and preserve bases for appeal in an attempt to keep the company viable and avoid a capital call. (Georgia Superior Court, 2016).
- Filed claims of defamation on behalf of a doctor against a patient who slandered him on social media. (2016).
- Investigated years of corporate fraud and theft involving a medical practice on behalf of a family and in conjunction with forensic accountants. (2015).
- Filed a lawsuit and requested an injunction on behalf of a doctor squeezed out of his practice and obtained an immediate negotiated settlement from the medical practice. (Georgia Superior Court, 2016).
- Filed an action on behalf of a medical practice against a construction company that encroached on the practice’s easements granted in the 1970s.